How To Detect And Delete A Computer Virus
Everyone should know how to remove viruses from computers
Over and over again users face the situation when the computer stops working or slows down its performance, freezes, independently startups various programs and windows, reboots, ignores commands, and constantly informs about error messages. Many of us start looking for possible problems in hardware and software, but if the machine is connected to the Internet or different flash drives were used on it, sooner rather than later a question will arise – how to detect and delete computer viruses? Many computers are infected by viruses, and sometimes users do not even notice that. In fact, in the vast majority of cases, causes of all disorders are in malicious programs that are tough to find and remove from the system. Main signs of infecting will help to understand whether the PC has viruses or not. All users know about viruses.
Signs of infected computers
- Slowing down computer work, slow startup of programs and the system
- Spontaneous shutting down and rebooting the computer
- Uprising of windows and tables with demands to send SMS, put money on a phone, blackmails and threats
- Ignoring by the PC key or mouse pressings. Redirection of functions for a keyboard and a mouse
- Resetting and changing passwords on websites or accounts
- Changing file permissions and folders, hiding and encrypting of folders
- Disappearance of files and folders
- Increase of sent network communication
- Blocking access to some websites
- Errors when running the program
- High loading of the central processing unit is in a down time
- Appearance and automatic startup of unknown processes
All above mentioned signs can prove that there is some harmful software on your PC. Although it looks bad, it is not one hundred percent sure that viruses are there. When someone noticed such signs he should take actions to find bad programs. Computer infecting may happen quickly and the faster the better you discover that problem.
How to detect suspicious programs
It is easy to find viruses if you know how. This task is for antivirus tools. Reliable antivirus software must be installed on your PC. If you do not know which the AV is better for you, try to read ratings of good protection programs which are easy to find in the Internet.
In order to find the virus you should update databases of your AV and start computer scanning. It is obligatory to check the system disk, loadable modules and programs. Updating is necessary and it will help in that case, if antivirus developers found your malicious program and added it to the database.
What to do if your protection is not good enough to guarantee solid security or you do not trust it? Here is the solution: you can exploit free programs for virus scanning. These programs are used for one time checking and are not able to provide protection in real time; their main tasks are to detect and delete harmful software which was not found by your own AV. For example, the most popular are Dr.Web_CureIt and Kaspersky_Security_Scan.
All you need is to start one of those programs and wait until it conducts full computer scanning. For better efficiency, you can start them in safe mode. If mentioned utilities track down viruses, it is better to find another reliable protection.
In extreme cases, deleterious programs can cause so many damages that you will need to reinstall the whole operating system. Fortunately, it happens not so often.
If conducted virus scanning did not give any positive results (viruses are not detected), and signs of infecting still remain, you should consider possible malfunctions of one or more details of the PC. Before that it is advisable to reinstall the operating system. Perhaps, you just clutter up it and viruses are not the real reason.
11 steps that will help to delete all kinds of viruses
How to cure your computer
1. Download and install the antivirus utility. First of all, you have to confide all work on virus removal to the special program, because only it can struggle with a harmful code delicately and in a right way, taking into account that simple deletion of an infected file might not be helpful at all. Sometimes it is quite dangerous to delete such file, since it can contain significant system information. In such cases you should change that infected file for non-infected, or edit it and after delete the code that is responsible for virus work. Remember to download the AV exceptionally from an official website and install only a legal version of software; otherwise, you are on a tightrope that keeping viruses and introducing them to the system.
2. Update antivirus databases. After installation of the AV on the computer, you should update databases of it, on default there is only old databases that do not have algorithms of new malicious programs. It is undoubtedly, you can use old databases for scanning and maybe the virus will be deleted, but if it has already infected other files with a new method, so you will not expel the whole harmful code from the machine. Always keep watching over antivirus updates and check their presence manually.
3. Turn off the Internet. If you have already downloaded, installed and even updated the needed antivirus, so on this stage we advise you to turn off the Internet. The best way to do that is to unplug a network cable from a system block or fully switch off the Internet (if you use wireless connection). You need to do that, first of all, for protection of your data, because the virus can pass all documents and files that are in the system through the Internet. In case if the virus installs different antiblocks of the Internet, you will not be able to disconnect the network until the cable is still in the computer or a router.
4. Start full computer scanning. Even if you know a particular folder where the virus lives, it is still recommended to start full and deep (checking) scanning of the system. The question at issue is that viruses, especially Trojans, are like a portal for malicious programs, thus, there will be much more harmful software than only just this single file (for this reason it was said to turn off access to the network). It is obvious that full scanning will take much time, especially if the hard disk is packed with archives, documents and other files which take most of time comparing to media files (films, music, pictures and so on).
5. Delete the virus manually. Sometimes viruses can be so strong and perfect that it is hard not to use individual inference. In view of this, it is better to delete infected files or the virus itself manually. However, if you are not sure about your decision, or do not know whether it is the harmful code, you should proceed as follows: firstly, move suspicious files on a portable device (a flesh drive, a CD-disk, an outer hard disk or others.), and delete them on the computer itself (emptying your wastebasket). If after rebooting everything works in a normal way, it means that you did not delete important files, but if something went wrong, so in this case do not panic or get upset: you still have saved data on the portable device.
6. Scan your system with one more AV program. After deletion of the virus, we recommend to check it existence once again. Because of this, you need to scan the operating system for presence of harmful codes repeatedly. It is better to use different solutions though. You can take another antivirus (however, you will need to deinstall current antivirus software, reboot the PC and install a new protection product), or use such tool as Dr.Web_CureIt. This Dr.Web instrument is a utility that one does not need to install, but just download it and start scanning (by the way, this software is completely legal and free for users who will exploit it only for personal and non-commercial purposes). The mentioned tool perfectly completes Kaspersky Internet Security, if it was installed as the permanent AV on your machine.
7. Install the good antivirus program that could protect your Internet connection. If you are the active user of the Internet, first and foremost after virus deletion, you have to take care of that: it could not intrude into your system again. The easiest way is to install the AV that is specialized in safe usage of network rewards. One of the most popular here is Kaspersky Internet Security that has been already mentioned before. Basically, this program does not require any special settings, because on default all basic security methods were put there. If you would like to increase protection, you can do it manually changing what is needed in settings.
8. Check one more time files, folders and archives that could be possibly infected (especially on portable storages). After deleting the virus from the computer, we often forget about flesh drives, outer hard disks and other disks: viruses settle on them so frequently. After that, we cannot understand – the virus has been removed, but problems are still here. For this reason, it is advisable to check all those instruments with the AV as well, but remember doing it promptly: not opening your explorer and holding folders closed to keep the virus from starting. Naturally, that all storages have to be checked scrupulously to be sure that your devices are safe to use.
9. Install the antivirus program called AVZ. Although the solution is still not so popular among computer users; this tool can run a good show with such malicious program as: SpyWare (software created to spy on users). AVZ can deal with AdWare (illegal ads that are put into a browser and other programs) and with BackDoor (the virus which takes all your passwords and private information away into the Internet). Obviously, that this software can also delete Trojans from infected computers.
10. Reinstall the operating system. Memorize this simple rule: if it is impossible to delete viruses from the PC, you can always reinstall Windows that will take not so much time as attempts to solve the problem by other ways. All of us know that not every time it might help – the virus can hide itself in a different disk segment that will be untouched; however, chances of such situations are sufficiently small, since viruses try to put themselves in places where are all important files of system control. If you can delete other sectors of the hard drive, it would be great, because after their formatting you will not find any viruses on your PC.
11. Draw conclusions. The last step towards full deletion of harmful codes from the machine calls all users to make conclusions on how your computer was infected. It goes without saying, one is supposed to put two and two together to find out how you could prevent that. Keep in mind all necessary steps for protection, think of it several times and do not try to repeat such mistakes. It is much easier to avoid virus infection rather than delete and cure infected files which can possibly contain your significant information.